A healthy, balanced diet is a crucial part of obtaining a good night’s sleep.
Below is a list of foods that have been found to promote high-quality sleep.
1) Fruits — Fruits that contain melatonin, a hormone associated with sleepiness and regulation of the sleep/wake cycle, are seen to increase quality and duration of sleep.
● Tart cherries
Fruits high in antioxidants also promote sleep
● Berries (Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries)
2) Nuts — These two types of nuts contain melatonin
3) Dairy Products — Most dairy products contain high levels of tryptophan, which is known to increase serotonin levels, a hormone associated with decreasing insomnia.
4) Fish — Fish that are high in magnesium and Vitamin B6 promote sleep. Magnesium is a mineral that helps transition the body into a calm, relaxed state. It helps lower levels of adrenaline.
5) Vegetables — Many vegetables contain high levels of tryptophan, calcium, and magnesium, which are all helpful in increasing sleep quality and duration.
● Collard Greens
6) Bedtime Tea
Establishing and maintaining a diet filled with vitamins and essential nutrients is important in an individual’s quality of sleep.