Mind-Body Wellness Center
Mind-body wellness focuses on connections between the brain, mind, body and behavior, and the powerful ways in which emotional, mental, social, spiritual and behavioral factors can directly affect physical and mental well-being. The idea of mind-body wellness respects and enhances each person’s capacity for self-knowledge and self-care. Some aspects of mind-body wellness include yoga, meditation, mindfulness, and health/nutrition.
These practices have been proven to help with:
- Interpersonal Difficulties
- Everyday stressors
- Overall mental health functioning
Yoga is a mind and body practice that originated with Ancient Indian philosophy. The various styles of yoga typically combine physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation, or relaxation.
Meditation is a mind and body practice that creates a state of relaxation for individuals. Meditation mostly originated in ancient religious and spiritual traditions. Some forms of meditation require the individual to become mindful of thoughts, feelings, and sensations by observing them in a nonjudgmental way.
Mindfulness is a practice that involves paying non-judgmental attention to our experiences in the present moment to achieve self-awareness and relaxation. Studies suggest that mindfulness practices may help people manage stress, cope with serious illness, and reduce anxiety and depression. Many people who practice report an increased ability to relax, a greater enthusiasm for life, and improved self-esteem.
Exercise and eating healthy are key components of mind-body wellness. These activities not only contribute to physical health, but also, positive mental health.
Additional Information about Mind-Body Wellness:
Dr. Gupta is board certified in Psychosomatic Medicine and held an academic position in this department at LIJ Medical Center for many years. Our ‘Mind-Body Medicine’ Program is directed towards disease prevention and teaches patients to counteract effects of stress, build resiliency and promote wellness. It consists of 8 weekly sessions, with focus on self care healthy lifestyle choices directed to:
5 Key Factors, scientifically proven to promote wellness:
*Exercise; *Sleep; *Nutrition; *Stress Reduction & *Social Connectedness
Program offers the following knowledge & skill development:
- Use techniques that are scientifically proven to strengthen the natural healing responses of body and mind.
- Understand the scientific basis of link between stress and psychosomatic manifestations in various medical conditions.
- Learn ‘meditation‘ to experience body’s inherent relaxation response (Dr. Herbert Benson)
- Exercise regularly to promote brain’s growth factors BDNF, neurogenesis, increase telomere size & cardiac fitness
- Sleep: learn basics of sleep and its role in mind-body wellness, sleep hygiene and CBT-I to treat Insomnia.
- Mindful Eating: eat to live, nutrition basics, gut-microbiome, dietary supplements & food as medicine.
- Socialization: Cultivating positive emotions, enhancing social connectedness and interpersonal relationships.
NEW OFFERINGS AT THE GREAT NECK CENTER FOR SLEEP, TMS, AND MIND-BODY WELLNESS!
YOGA THERAPY PROGRAM (Customized to patient’s needs):Yoga Therapy is a relatively new method of health care, born out of an ancient tradition. Yoga Therapy is the application of yoga techniques and practices to help treat physical and mental health conditions. Yoga Therapists combine yoga principles and practice, assessment skills, and foundational biomedical and psychological knowledge to identify and treat various imbalances in a person that contribute to disease and illness. Yoga Therapy empowers individuals towards improved health and wellness through an individualized and therapeutic yoga practice that will help to bring the body and mind back into balance and greater states of health and well-being. For more information on this program, click here.
Stress Management and Resiliency Program (SMART)
Improves the following disorders:
Anxiety, Asthma or allergy related symptoms, autoimmune disorder, fatigue, IBS & gastrointestinal disorders, headaches, insomnia, depression, osteoarthritis, chronic pain, skin problems, MS or any other disorder aggravated by stress.
Wellness Program Offers the Following Services:
- Comprehensive Wellness Evaluation
- Individual wellness training: customized to your specific needs and illness
- 8 Week Group therapy program: for insomnia, stress management, weight management and wellness promotion.